If you are searching for the best DevOps tutorials you will be overwhelmed with information.
In this post I will be covering all the current DevOps tools that I use and a brief description of what they do and how to perform some basic tasks.
All the software used and the tutorials will be equally beneficial for anyone doing DevOps.
DevOps Tutorial for Beginners
I will be covering Git, GitHub, GitHub Actions, Terraform, Ansible, Python Jenkins and much more. There are so many other tools but these are the ones that I used on a daily basis and also very popular tools in use today in 2023.
This step by step DevOps tutorial for beginners will walk you through the basic concepts and if at the end you are wanting to learn more I am working on a complete DevOps course which I am hoping to release in mid 2023.
What is DevOps?
In a single sentence, DevOps is a combination of tools, practices, cultural philosophies that integrate and automate processes between software development and IT teams to deliver applications and services at scale.
DevOps is a software development approach that emphasizes collaboration, communication, and integration between software developers and operations staff. The goal of DevOps is to improve the speed and efficiency of software development and deployment by breaking down the traditional barriers between development and operations teams.
DevOps practices include continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment, which involve automating the software development and deployment process to reduce the time it takes to release new features and updates. Other key DevOps practices include infrastructure as code, where infrastructure is managed and provisioned using code, and monitoring and observability, where the performance and health of systems are continuously monitored and analyzed to identify and address issues quickly.
DevOps relies on a set of tools and technologies to enable collaboration and automation, such as version control systems, containerization platforms, and automation tools. By adopting a DevOps approach, organizations can improve the quality and reliability of their software, increase agility, and reduce the time it takes to bring new ideas to market.
It is a combination of Software Developers (Dev) and Operations Teams (Ops)
DevOps is not a technology it is a combination of methodologies.
Each section of this DevOps Tutorial will cover a certain technology and then provide an overview of what it does and how to start using it.
Why Learn DevOps?
Learn DevOps from scratch!
If you want to learn DevOps from scratch this could be an easy journey if you already have knowledge on the individual technologies and understand continuous integration and continuous deployment or it could be a very steep learning curve!
Hopefully this DevOps tutorial will help!
How do I start learning DevOps?
A good starting point is to have a basic understanding of the following DevOps tools and technologies. One this is for sure you will dealing with a lot of code! You then combine these technologies to make solutions.
DevOps for Beginners
In this DevOps tutorial I will be covering the following
- Git / GitHub / GitLab / Version Control
- GitHub Actions
IT engineers typically do not have experience in these technologies, so to transition from a traditional IT engineer or network engineer to a career in Devops is going to be a steep learning curve, you are going to need to learn some coding.
Is Python needed for DevOps?
Python is one of the primary technologies in a DevOps practice. It is by no means an essential skill but it is certainly very beneficial to know some Python. Ansible is written in Python but you don’t need to know any Python to use Ansible.
DevOps Learning Path
Not sure where to start?
There are many free resources to learn DevOps, this free DevOps tutorial being one of them!
This video is a great introduction to devops tools in use in 2023
You can also check out the following pages here
(Note: all the content on this site is coming from a network devops perspective but the principles and tooling are the same for all scenarios)
Best DevOps Tutorial for Beginners
If you want to take your DevOps learning to the next level, I am currently developing a DevOps course for beginners taking you through the basics of DevOps using all the above technologies and how they come together to make a full solution. This will take all the concepts I have covered in this devops tutorial for beginners and then expand on each one.
If you are looking for the best DevOps tutorial for beginners, this course is going to be a DevOps step by step tutorial starting from zero knowledge so you can jump in wherever you are short on skills
How to learn DevOps from Home
What is DevOps and Why Should Network Engineers Care?
DevOps Best Practices for Network Configuration Management
As network infrastructure becomes increasingly complex and distributed, network configuration management is becoming a critical aspect of IT operations. DevOps practices can help network engineers automate the configuration management process, reduce errors, and increase efficiency. Here are some best practices for network configuration management with DevOps:
- Version control: Network configuration files should be managed using version control tools such as Git. This allows engineers to track changes to the configuration over time, roll back changes if necessary, and collaborate more effectively with team members.
- Infrastructure as Code (IaC): Network engineers can use IaC tools such as Ansible or Chef to automate the configuration of network devices. This approach treats network configuration as code, making it more repeatable and easier to manage. IaC also enables engineers to test configuration changes in a sandbox environment before deploying them to production.
- Configuration drift management: Over time, network configurations can drift away from their intended state due to manual changes or unforeseen events. DevOps practices can help engineers detect and manage configuration drift by regularly monitoring network devices, comparing the actual configuration to the desired state, and applying changes as needed.
- Automated testing: DevOps teams often use automated testing tools to validate code changes before deploying them to production. Network engineers can use similar tools to test configuration changes, ensuring that they don’t introduce any errors or security vulnerabilities. Automated testing can also help engineers detect performance issues or other problems that might impact the network.
- Collaboration: Effective collaboration is key to successful DevOps practices. Network engineers should work closely with software developers, security teams, and other stakeholders to ensure that network configurations are aligned with business goals and objectives. Collaboration can also help engineers identify potential issues early on and address them before they become larger problems.
- Continuous improvement: DevOps is an iterative process, and network configuration management is no exception. Engineers should continuously monitor and assess the effectiveness of their configuration management processes, identifying areas for improvement and making adjustments as needed. By continuously refining their processes, engineers can ensure that their network configurations are always optimized for performance, security, and efficiency.
Implementing these best practices can help network engineers successfully manage network configurations with DevOps practices. However, there are also some potential challenges to be aware of. For example, some network devices may not support automation or may have limited APIs, making it difficult to automate configuration changes. In addition, there may be cultural barriers that need to be overcome in order to effectively implement DevOps practices in a network engineering environment.
To address these challenges, network engineers may need to take a phased approach to implementing DevOps practices, starting with small, low-risk changes and gradually building up to more complex automation. It may also be necessary to invest in new tools or training to support DevOps practices in the network engineering context.
In summary, network configuration management is an important aspect of IT operations, and DevOps practices can help network engineers automate this process, reduce errors, and increase efficiency. By following best practices such as version control, IaC, configuration drift management, automated testing, collaboration, and continuous improvement, network engineers can successfully manage network configurations with DevOps practices. However, implementing DevOps in a network engineering context may require a phased approach and investment in new tools or training.
Whilst most of the tools for DevOps are open source there doesn’t tend to be many certification programmes, but there are lots of options if you want to get some certifications under your belt.
One of the best ones is the Azure programme but this is focussed around Microsoft technologies, but it does cover Git quite heavily.
Ansible have a few certifications also
Azure Devops Tutorial for Beginners
Devops is a great career path as the breadth of technologies that a devops engineer is expected to know will make them a very valuable member of any IT team.
If you are looking for a more in depth devops tutorial for Azure check out – x
Topics to add – aws, cloud computing, software testing, devops architecture, devops lifecycle, devops testing, azure devops training
Continuous Integration and Delivery: Streamline Your Development and Deployment Process
Microservices and Containerization: Optimize Your Cloud Architecture
Infrastructure as Code: Automate Your IT Operations
Automated Testing: Ensure Quality and Reliability in Your Applications
Agile Methodology and DevOps Culture: Improve Collaboration and Productivity
Cloud Automation: Optimize Your Cloud Environment
If you are looking for a Devops Tutorial which covers cloud there are many options but the two main ones are AWS Devops and Azure Devops
Monitoring and Logging: Keep Track of Your Systems and Services
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE): Ensure High Availability and Performance
DevSecOps: Secure your DevOps pipeline
CICD : Implementing Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment.
“The role of a DevOps Engineer has seen a 225% jump in postings on Indeed,” according to an SD Times report. According to Indeed and AngelList, 80% of the companies pay more than $90,000 starting salary to a DevOps Engineer. edureka.co
- DevOps is a set of practices that combines software development (Dev) and information-technology operations (Ops)
- The main goal of DevOps is to shorten the systems development life cycle and provide continuous delivery with high software quality.
- DevOps is complementary with Agile software development; several DevOps aspects came from the Agile Manifesto.
- DevOps aims to improve collaboration between developers and IT operations.
- DevOps is characterized by a set of practices that emphasize the collaboration and communication of both software developers and other information-technology (IT) professionals while automating the process of software delivery and infrastructure changes.
- DevOps promotes a set of processes and methods for thinking about communication and collaboration between developers and IT operations.
- DevOps is also characterized by operations staff taking on development roles to increase feedback loop between development and operations.
DevOps is a software development approach that emphasizes collaboration and communication between development and operations teams in order to deliver software faster and more reliably. It is a cultural and technical movement that aims to break down the traditional silos between development and operations and enable organizations to quickly and efficiently deliver high-quality software.
DevOps combines Agile methodologies, Lean principles, and modern software development practices to increase collaboration and automation throughout the entire software development life cycle. This includes everything from code creation and testing to deployment and monitoring.
The goal of DevOps is to streamline and automate the software delivery process, reduce the time it takes to bring new features and fixes to customers, and improve the overall quality and reliability of software. This is achieved by promoting a culture of continuous improvement, continuous delivery, and collaboration between development and operations teams.
In short, DevOps is about bringing development and operations together to deliver better software, faster and more reliably.
Devops Interview Questions
other Items for questions –
DevOps Frequently asked questions
How do I start learning DevOps?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best way to get started with DevOps will vary depending on your specific needs and objectives. However, some tips on how to get started with DevOps include:
Define your goals and objectives.
Before you can start implementing DevOps within your organization, you need to first define what your goals and objectives are
Is DevOps easy to learn?
Understanding the basic concepts of DevOps is very straightforward as is learning what each tool does. The skill and hard part is making all the tools work together. Whilst you can master all the basics with this DevOps Tutorial, only hands on use with the tools is going to make you a DevOps master!
Can I learn DevOps in 30 days?
It depends what you want to achieve with DevOps? If you want to create a simple pipeline that will take a change in some code in a Git repo and then make Ansible perform a change that is very achievable in 30 days, if you want to master all the software and tools listed in this DevOps tutorials and call yourself and expert in each tool, that might take a big longer!
What is the difference between DevOps and traditional software development?
There are a number of key differences between DevOps and traditional software development, which can be summarized as follows:
DevOps emphasizes collaboration and communication between developers and operations teams, whereas traditional software development typically keeps these two groups separate.
Devops aims to automate as much of the software development and delivery process as possible, whereas traditional software development relies more on manual processes.
Can I learn DevOps on my own?
If you have the right mindset and have a lab environment where you can test out your code you can certainly learn DevOps on your own, however most people like to follow structured learning. If you are just starting out familiarise yourself with the basic DevOps tools like Python, Git, Ansible, Jenkins etc and then if you want to expand your knowledge take a course.
Devops Tutorial topics to add